Deck Building Permit The city of Ottawa Review
All construction to meet or exceed the requirements of the 2006 Ontario Building Code and Supplemental Standards
1. All work whether detailed on plans or not is subject to the field approval of the Building Ispector
2.Deck foundation shall extend to not less than 150mm (5 7/8") above ground level
3. Footings / sonotubes must bear on undisturbed soil minimun 48" below grade, bell out bottom
4. Deck posts shall be centrally located on footings
5. Decks NOT attached to the house, and not more than 24" high may rest on an approved footing or foundation system (e.g. Deck Blocks) on grade
6. Decks attached to the house are NOT permitted to be supported on brick veneer; they shall be attached to the house framing structure;
7. Deck needs to be protected by a guard where there is a difference in elevation of more than 600mm (23 5/8") between the deck surface and the adjacent grade.
8. For decks more than 24" above grade and up to 5'-11' above grade, the guard must be minimum 36" high with no climbable attachments and no openings greater than 4". For decks more than 5'-11' above grade the guard must conform to the above except the minimum height is 42".
9. Pickets shall be fastened with screws at the top and bottom. Turned pickets are NOT permitted.
10. Supporting posts are required every 3'11" in typical post and rail guardrail system.
11. Provide solid blocking between joists at guard rail posts where guard is parallel to joist direction
12. Guards shall meet requirements set out in Div.BSubsection 9.8.8. and/ or SB-7 of the Supplemental Standards of the 2006 OBC.
13. Stairs with more than 3 risers must have a handrail.
14. Wood stair stringers shall be of minimum size of 2x10 and the space between stringer shall be not more tjan 2'11". Stringers shall be supported and secured at top and bottoms.
15. Exterior stair dimensions
Rise: max.200 mm (7 7/8") and min. 125 mm (4 7/8")
Run: max. 355 mm (14") and min. 210 mm (8 1/4")
Tread depth: max. 355 mm (14") and min. 235 mm (9 1/4")
Tread not less than 1 1/2 actual thickness when open risers are used.
16. You shall respect the lot grading of your lot and those that surround it.